By Eat Low Sodium
We cannot imagine Halloween without cupcakes. The good news is it is possible to make low sodium cupcakes by using sodium free baking powder. You can find a few low sodium and sodium free baking powder products under the foods section of this site.
We adopted the following recipe from the Joy of Baking and modified it to make it more suitable for low sodium dieters.
Yield: 16 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 4/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons low sodium or sodium free baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy with a hand mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Beat until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16 - 20 minutes. Check the cakes with a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute) with a hand mixer.
- Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and the chocolate. Beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy about 2 -3 minutes.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting: